This course, Beginner Beekeeping with Phil Craft, is intended to get a first year beekeeper started with basic knowledge to purchase equipment and honey bees.
There are six (6) one (1) hour classes approximately every other week. The first class starts in November. By the third class the student should be prepared to purchase honey bees and equipment in anticipation for the upcoming beekeeping season. By the end of the course the student should be well prepared to keep their colony healthy and strong through winter.
Honey Bee Biology
- The Beekeepers Handbook” by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile
- First Lessons in Beekeeping by Keith Delaplane
- The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum
- Beekeeping for Dummies Howland Blackiston
- Storey Guide to Keeping Honey Bees by Malcolm T. Sanford, Richard E. Bonney
- Beekeeping Basics (download)
- Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping by Dewey Caron
- Keeping Bees Alive: Sustainable Beekeeping Essentials By Lawrence John Connor
- The Biology of the Honey Bee By Mark L. Winston
Beekeeping equipment & tips on purchasing equipment
How to buy & install your first bees
Final Wrap-up, Odds & Ends
Cancelled to be combined with Q&A on May 10th